The majority of farmers use huge tracts of ground, making it quite challenging to get to all of their corners and keep track of them. Irregular water drops have a chance occasionally. It causes harvests to be of poor quality, which further causes economic losses. So, the smart irrigation system which makes use of the most recent IoT technology, is beneficial in this situation and makes farming easier.
IoT: What is it?
IOT is the linking of personally identifiable embedded computers inside the available network infrastructure. The “IoT” uses the web and electronic sensors to link numerous machines and transport modes.
The Smart Irrigation System’s Purpose
In a nutshell, irrigation is a technique of watering that involves giving farmland the desired quantities of water. This method is particularly helpful in reducing runoff or extreme drought for the growth of the plants. Producers cannot depend on natural rains because of the worrying climate shifts. Irrigation is crucial for plants to produce well, whether they are seasonal or not.
A smart irrigation plan is among the best methods for increasing production in modern farming. A completely automated, intelligent irrigation technology is being created with the intention of reducing manual labour in farming. The notion of IoT and sensors for smart watering are also very easy for users (or farmers) to grasp, which is among the positive aspects. One may find it useful to discover how different sensors may be used, as well as how their information may be used to produce occurrences and manage irrigation. A few detectors that are included in the smart irrigation system are outlined below:
- detector for moisture in the soil.
- detector for soil temperature.
- solar radiation detector
- flow metre
Characteristics of an IoT-based automated irrigation system
- The intuitive and user-friendly intelligent irrigation system is a crop irrigation technology.
- For the most part, this solution can run the device with Arduino programming.
- Several sensors and an accelerator are used to track and control the water engine and sprinklers.
- Using software programmes, this method is utilised to track and control sprinklers and water pumps.
- A battery-powered smart sensor bridge is available for sensor interaction.
- Regarding computer interaction, Wi-Fi, zigbee, and USB connections are required.
- A siren, input buttons, and outlet switches are offered in this device for evaluation.
- During field trials, an Android app and Wi-Fi connection are available.
- This clever device features a programme that allows PC and mobile users to see a scanner’s real-time network processing.
IoT-based smart irrigation systems benefit
- A user-friendly forum for learning about and improving your knowledge of smart irrigation systems.
- This can deliver water with absolute precision and prevent water wastage.
- The operator takes less labour because the processing is automatically generated.
- This can precisely measure the soil moisture content with the aid of the detectors.
- Utilizing sensors, it can quickly detect and regulate the temperature, moisture, and sunlight.
- The land receives water regularly owing to this arrangement. The valve can be manually turned on or off by the operator.
- Featuring less time, less work, and greater profitability, this Internet of Things-based smart irrigation tracking and management system makes it very simple to boost crop productivity during any period.
Featuring less time, less work, and greater profitability, this Internet of Things-based smart irrigation tracking and management system makes it very simple to boost crop productivity during any season. From the data presented above, we can draw the conclusion that each of the sensors is interfaced with the hardware parts of this system. The device has been tested for irrigation on a field of farmland, and it is fueled by a source of electricity.