There is more to painting both the interior and exterior of your home than you may think. You would not just grab a paintbrush and start painting your walls. There is a lot of prepping that goes into it and is vital for a successful paint job that will last. This is why getting reliable house painting services in Wheat Ridge is important. A professional painter would be able to handle your house painting needs for you from start to finish. This is the ultimate guide to house painting in Wheat Ridge.
How to Prepare your home for painting?
When you are preparing the outside of your house, you should always wash the walls with a light pressure wash so that you can get rid of the dirt and built up grime. Getting rid of the dirt will create a clean surface for paint to adhere to.
You should also always repair any damaged or rotted boards on the exterior of your home before you begin any of the paint prep. For certain damaged boards, primer and caulk isn’t enough. It is vital to replace those boards to ensure you have a paint job that will last.
To ensure that the surface is prepared for painting, it is important to perform all of the following steps on any exterior prior to painting:
- Pressure wash
- Repair damaged gutters
- Perform any woodwork repairs
- Mask off all windows & doors & protect surfaces
- Scrape failing paint
- Prime where it is necessary
How To Find Reliable House Painting contractors in Wheat Ridge
1. Have a plan
To start everything off, you need to have a detailed plan on what you want to do for your project. This will make it easier to find the perfect contractor for your painting project. It’s important to note that every contractor has their own crew that has different specialties, processes and experience.
Here are some of the questions you should consider answering when you are making your plan:
- Is the job an interior or exterior project?
- What time of the year do you plan on getting them painted?
- What time of the year do you want the project to get done?
- How many rooms do you plan on painting?
- Are you painting the walls, ceilings and trim?
- Are you painting the exterior walls and trim?
- What colors do you want to use?
- How would it impact your work and home schedule?
2. Google and do your research for painting contractors near you
Now that you have your plan in place and you know what you want completed, you can begin researching different paint contractors in your area that you may want to work with. When you are looking for a contractor, you have to make sure that they have insurance that would be able to cover your project and a license.
A reputable company should have plenty of reviews online. Make sure to read all of the reviews and look for any red flags. Be sure to look out for how the company seems to handle their customer service and what the outcome of the projects looks like.
Were the customers satisfied? Did they like the outcome?
When they have a long list of positive comments, then that means they could be trusted, but you also have to take into account their experience.
3. Get some referrals
Each painting contractor’s services may vary, no matter how small or big they may be, so make sure that you get a contractor that surely has the experience in doing the project you want to get done.
There are going to be some contractors that could only provide you with painting services, while there are others who offer repairs, wood work, color consultations, and gutter services.
Look at their services and ask your family, friends, and neighbors, especially if they had hired that specific painter before.
4. Interview different painting contractors
- What are their payment expectations?
- Will they be able to give you some references for projects that are similar to what you want to get done?
- Do they prefer the homeowners to be out of the house while they work?
- Who would be working on the project? Are they going to be subcontractors or employees?
- How many coats of paint are included?
- Are they licensed and insured? If they are, ask them to give you their certificate of insurance and the license number of your contractor
- Would the price of the paint be included in the estimate?
- What type of paint will they use? What brand?
5. Vet on your top prospects
You could reach out to some of the references they have given you once you have everything narrowed down. Here are some of the questions you could ask them:
- Was the project completed on time?
- Were the contractor and the subcontractors courteous?
- Were the contractor and the subcontractors professional?
- Did you ever run over the budget?
- Were you satisfied with their overall work?
- At the end of the day, would you work with them again?
6. Get the estimate in writing
- Company name
- Company address
- Telephone number
- Total costs
- Scope of the project
- Paint specifications
- Date started
- Date completed
- Terms and conditions
- Warranty details
Doing proper research for a paint contractor for any of your home renovations is very important. You want to be sure that you can trust who you are going to work with and know you’ll get the results you’re looking for. This is why you have to look for a painting contractor that has a good reputation and you are sure is trustworthy.