Wildcroft Manor is a 1930s mansion block with 56 flats set in the grounds of where an 18th-century manor house once stood. The main gates are still in place. The gardens merge naturally into the woodlands of Putney Heath that surround it on all sides. There is direct footpath access to Wimbledon Common through the woods and under the A3.
The gardens feature a wide variety of shrubs, perennial plants and bulbs – annual bedding plants are conspicuous by their absence. There is also a fine selection of mature trees such as cedar, acers, sweet chestnut, holly, rowan, cherry plum and yew. It is a well-stocked garden that tends towards the natural rather than the manicured so that it is very much in context with its environment. A particular feature is the rose garden and fountain.
For those interested in history, there is an obelisk just outside the boundary fence of Wildcroft Manor erected 110 years after the Great Fire of London in 1776 by John Sawbridge, Lord Mayor of London, to commemorate the invention of Fire Plates ‘for securing buildings from fire’ by David Hartley. All four sides are carved with a detailed citation.
Davidia Urban Gardens