St George’s Gardens
(Photo: Colin Wing)
Originally meadowland, the site was acquired in 1713 to serve as the burial grounds for the new churches of St George, Bloomsbury Way and St George the Martyr, Queen Square. These were the first church burial grounds in London not to be sited next to their churches.
The first recorded case of ‘body-snatching' (the theft of corpses for medical research and teaching) took place here in 1777.
Today the gardens are a peaceful retreat. The many large plane trees create shade, while imposing ivy-clad tombs and gravestones may be found throughout the gardens.
The site (restored in 2001 by the London Borough of Camden, with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund) now includes a new sensory garden created by the Friends of St George's Gardens near the Chapel of Rest.
- Saturday 08:00–21:00
+ Sunday 08:00–21:00
- Drop by this peaceful open space for some time out. Information leaflets and representatives of the Friends of St George’s available 10am-5pm on both days.
Handel Street (off Hunter Street), Sidmouth Street or Heathcote Street (both off Gray's Inn Road)
Nearest postcode: WC1N 2NU
- 17, 45, 46
- Russell Square/King's Cross
- Cycle hire station:
- Tavistock Place (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Camden Town Hall:
Saturday 08:00-17:00 (Map)
- Level access from Sidmouth and Heathcote Streets.
- Dogs on leads
(click on names for details):
Calthorpe Project Community Garden
Goodenough College - London House and William Goodenough House Quadrangles
British Medical Association Council Garden
Convert to miles »