Russell Square Gardens
(Photo: Drew Bennellick)
One of only three London squares designed by Humphry Repton and considered by many to be one of the finest in London. It was originally designed as the centrepiece of the 5th Duke of Bedford’s 1800 development plan for northern Bloomsbury.
James Burton created a link between Russell and Bloomsbury Squares in the form of a central axis along Bedford Place. Repton completed this vision by terminating the view in each direction with statues of the Duke of Bedford and Charles James Fox.
Although the square has undergone various changes since its original conception, many historic features remain. The fine mature trees do not date back to the original 1804 planting, but they echo the original pattern of Repton’s lime avenues and have been retained.
The square is listed grade II by English Heritage. It is protected by the London Squares Preservation Act
of 1931 and lies within the important Bloomsbury Conservation Area.