The first square was developed in the 18th century by Henry William Portman on 200 acres of meadow passed down from a Tudor ancestor. It was immediately popular due to surrounding buildings by Robert Adam and James ‘Athenian' Stuart.
The gardens were laid out around 1780 as a wilderness and once contained a movable temple, erected by the Turkish ambassador to enjoy the seasons.
Today a private garden of one hectare (2.5 acres) is enclosed by a clipped privet hedge, with notable London plane trees and other varied trees and shrubs. There is a children's play area and a tennis court. The last major rejuvenation of the garden was in 2005.
Gavin Jones Group
West side of square
Nearest postcode: W1H 7BH Sells tickets.
2, 13, 30, 74, 82, 113, 139, 189, 274, plus buses in Oxford Street