The Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery
The Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery is the remaining part of what was the Blue Cross Kennels, where the pets of service personnel were kennelled, initially during the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) and then WW1 and WW2. It is also the final resting place for much-loved pets of members of the community.
Originally the memorial stones were upstanding, with attractive flowerbeds and shrubs. Today the stones are laid in the ground.
Although animals can no longer be buried here, there is a Memorial Wall where plaques can be erected to commemorate a much-loved pet. There are over 200 stones. Some are so worn that the inscriptions are no longer legible, while others have touching inscriptions which set the imagination to wonder about the families involved and what sort of animals their pets were.
Committee Working Group
- Saturday 11:00–15:00
+ Sunday 11:00–15:00
- Enjoy reading the many poignant inscriptions on the stones and talk to committee members who have worked on site over the last four years. Display of archive pictures and maps of the area showing the extent of the kennels in the 1930-40s. Bring a swimsuit and have a swim in the open-air lido next to the park. Refreshments in the Lido café or the Fox Under the Hill pub. Have your picnic sitting under the trees.
Signposted path from Shooters Hill Road opposite the Fox Under the Hill pub.
Nearest postcode: SE18 4LX
- 89 to Charlton Lido/Hornfair Park
- Blackheath, thence bus
- Fully accessible but some of the paved surface is uneven. Benches and seating on site. Toilets at the pub opposite the cemetery and the Charlton Lido café.
- Dogs on leads