Named after Queen Charlotte, formerly Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the square was designed by Samuel Pepys Cockerell and Joseph Kay for the Foundling Estate in the early 19th century.
The grade II-listed two-acre garden was laid out in 1810-12. It remains close to the original design, with fine mature planes and other ornamental trees, formal lawns and gravel paths. One section is devoted to plants from New Zealand, including a number of rarities. A herb garden has been planted, with assistance from the Wellcome Trust.
A children's play area, barbecue area and tennis court cater for the large number of postgraduate students and their families living around the square.
- Sunday 12:00–17:00
- Leaflet describing the garden and celebrating its 200th anniversary available.
We hope to offer cream teas, served in a genuine Mongolian yurt that is erected in the garden from time to time.
Saturday 14 June, 11am-12:30pm: Val Martin Memorial Bloomsbury Walk: How the Bloomsbury Squares Were Shaped. [Reservations essential. Meet at the steps of the Goodenough Club, 23 Mecklenburgh Square. Information on booking at Eventbrite.]
Gate on east side of square
Nearest postcode: WC1N 2AD
- 17, 45, 46 + 19, 38, 55, 243
- Russell Square, King's Cross
- Cycle hire station:
- Wren Street (Map)
- Public toilets:
- St Pancras International Station:
Saturday 00:00-24:00 + Sunday 00:00-24:00 (Map)
- Wheelchair accessible.
- Working assistance dogs only