Markham Square

Markham Square
(Photo: Fran├žois Pont)
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

The building of the original square was begun in 1836 on the site of the old orchard of Box Farm, owned by the Markham family, which had had common rights since the ‘29th year of Elizabeth’.

In 1935 the garden was laid out as a cherry orchard, in celebration of the Silver Jubilee of George V.

After WW2, the square was redesigned in the style of a private country garden by the head gardener at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. The garden is notable for its light, open aspect and rare shrubs and trees, none of which have been allowed to obscure the colourful borders.

Gardener: Fran├žois Pont

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email