(Photo: Colin Wing)
The tranquil and secluded garden of Lloyd Square has a traditional layout, with trees around the perimeter and a central flowerbed surrounded by smaller beds, planted with shrub roses and perennials in an informal design. A gravelled path leads to a pergola. The lawned children’s play area was originally a tennis court.
The distinctive pedimented façades of the surrounding houses were designed by the father-and-son team of John and William Booth between 1820 and 1830 for the Lloyd Baker family, who owned the whole estate until the mid-20th century.
A garden committee run by residents has managed the garden since 1917. In the last few years, renewal work has been undertaken to repair and renovate the railings, reinstate paths, extend planting across the garden and refurbish the arbour.
Leaving the square at the south-west end, a walkway leads through St Helena's Garden, recently replanted by the local community group with shade-loving plants.
Lloyd Square Garden:
- Sunday 10:00–17:00
- Display boards on the history of the square and the story of Bethany House, built in ‘Queen Anne’ style for the Society of the Sisters of Bethany in 1881.
South side of the square
Nearest postcode: WC1X 9BA
- 63, + 19, 38, 341, + 30, 73, 205, 214, 394, 476
- Angel, King's Cross
- Cycle hire station:
- River Street (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Chapel Market - White Conduit Street:
Saturday 08:00-18:00 + Sunday 08:00-18:00 (Map)
- Chippings on paths may cause difficulties for pushchairs and wheelchairs.
- Working assistance dogs only
(click on names for details):
Calthorpe Project Community Garden
Goodenough College - London House and William Goodenough House Quadrangles
Culpeper Community Garden
St George’s Gardens
Convert to miles »