(Photo: David Lowe)
One of the earliest garden squares in London, dating from the 17th century and built as part of the Thomas Young Estate. Originally called King’s Square, it was surrounded by fields until 1840. Today the square provides a quiet, leafy haven just yards from Kensington High Street.
The first buildings date from 1682 and the west side was completed in the 1730s. Artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98) lived at no. 41, philosopher John Stuart Mill (1806-73) at no.18, musician Sir Charles Hubert Parry (1848-1918) at no.17 and pioneer of public health Sir John Simon (1816-1904) at no.40.
- Sunday 10:00–16:00
- The Treblemakers, an all-female a cappella group based in London who sing to raise money for charity, will be entertaining visitors from 12.00am to 12.45pm.
The Treblemakers a capella group sing close harmony of traditional and contemporary popular songs, with no instrumental accompaniment or amplification. Their repertoire ranges from Mozart through barbershop in the 1950s, to the Beatles, Queen and Coldplay.
Nearest postcode: W8 5HD
- 9, 10, 28, 49, 52, 328, 452
- High Street Kensington
- Cycle hire station:
- Derry Street (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Kensington Town Hall:
Saturday 09:00-20:00 + Sunday 10:00-17:00 (Map)
- Working assistance dogs only