Carlyle's House

Carlyle's House
(Photo: Colin Wing)
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

A peaceful walled garden in the heart of Old Chelsea. Carlyle's House opened as a museum in 1895 and is now owned by the National Trust.

Laid out when Chelsea was still a riverside village, the garden at Cheyne Row was a typical town garden, with an oblong patch surrounded by high brick walls to the east of the house.

From the back door, three steps led to a yard paved with flagstones, from which one step led up to a gravel path, bordered with box. The path branched to the left between the flowerbeds, and led to the earth closet, a square brick building almost hidden in summer by lilac bushes and fruit trees.

Gardeners: Linda Chinnery & Linda Skippings

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email