Samuel Pepys Cockerell and Joseph Kay designed this square, named after Queen Charlotte (formerly Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz) for the Foundling Estate in the early 19th century. The Grade II listed two-acre garden was laid out in 1810-12, close to the original design, with fine mature planes and other ornamental trees, formal lawns and gravel paths. A New Zealand plant section includes some rarities. There is a fern bed, and a herb garden planted with assistance from the Wellcome Trust. A children’s play area, barbecue pits and tennis court cater for the postgraduate students and their families who live around the square.