Hereford Square was built between 1845 and 1850 by architect Thomas Holmes and the garden, complete with iron railings, was finished in 1848 at a cost of £1,300. The square has kept its charm and lots of trees and flowering shrubs make for relaxing strolls. The author of Peter Pan, Sir James Barrie, lived at 133 Gloucester Road on the east side of the square. It is rumoured that Peter flew in through the first-floor window to take the children to Never-Never Land. WW2 bombing destroyed the south side of the square, when US soldiers used the garden as a baseball ground.