Bryanston Square is an early 19th century garden square built on the Portman Estate between 1811 and 1821. The properties on the east and west sides feature grand stuccoed fronts and columns and pediments at each corner and in the centre (the latter now lost). The garden, which was provided for residents of the surrounding houses, features magnificent old London plane trees set among other flowering trees. Planting includes rhododendron, azalea, camellia, weigela, dogwood, viburnum, mahonia and hydrangea. A memorial drinking fountain was erected in 1863 at the south end and there is an early 19th century cast-iron water pump in the form of a Doric column at the north end.