This garden was created on part of the former royal garden of St James’s Palace, when John Nash built the surrounding Carlton House Terrace. It retains much of its 19th century character, with serpentine paths, trees and shrubs. Statues define the garden perimeters, including the memorial to the polar explorer Robert Falcon Scott. The garden has been managed continuously since 1832 by the Crown Estate Paving Commission and underwent restoration in 2011. The original path network has been reinstated and the garden has been replanted with shrubs and ground cover more suited to the shadier environment.