Southwark Cathedral is London’s oldest Gothic church, dating from 1106, when it was the Priory of St Mary Overie. Plants with Shakespearean and biblical connections feature in the design. Shakespeare worshipped here when the Cathedral was known as the Parish Church of St Saviour’s, from 1540. His brother Edmund is buried within the grounds. Restored in both 2001 and 2015, Nelson Mandela opened the South Churchyard with Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who was a curate in the Southwark diocese. Constructed around the ruins of the medieval Lady Chapel, the East Churchyard herb garden echoes herbs originally grown in the Apothecaries’ Garden of St Thomas’ Hospital, established by the Canons of the original Priory. There is also a memorial to Mahomet Weyonomon, the 18th century leader of the American Mohegan tribe.