One of only three London squares designed by Humphry Repton. It was originally designed as the centrepiece of the 5th Duke of Bedford’s 1800 development plan for northern Bloomsbury.
Although the square has undergone various changes since its original conception, many historic features remain. The fine mature trees do not date from the original 1804 planting, but they echo the original pattern of Repton’s lime avenues and have been retained.
The square is listed grade II by English Heritage and lies within the important Bloomsbury Conservation Area.