Eleven-acre private garden in Regent’s Park, originally home to the pioneering Bedford College for Women. The grounds are laid out in an informal woodland style, with expanses of lawn surrounding ivy-covered buildings. A variety of trees and shrubs includes a mature plane designated a ‘Great Tree of London’. A ‘secret garden’ tucked away behind high hedges features roses, seating, a pond and tree ferns. The university campus occupies the site of South Villa one of the original Regent’s Park villas from the early 1800s. New buildings, designed by architect Basil Champneys, were opened by Queen Mary in 1913.