The first square was developed in the 18th century by Henry William Portman on 200 acres of meadow passed down from a Tudor ancestor. It was immediately popular due to surrounding buildings by Robert Adam and James ‘Athenian' Stuart.
The gardens were laid out around 1780 as a wilderness and once contained a movable temple, erected by the Turkish ambassador to enjoy the seasons.
Today a private garden of one hectare (2.5 acres) is enclosed by a clipped privet hedge, with notable London plane trees and other varied trees and shrubs. There is a children's play area and a tennis court.
Winner of Silver award in the 2017 London Gardens Society competition, large private square category.