Samuel Pepys Cockerell and Joseph Kay designed this square, named after Queen Charlotte (formerly Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz) for the Foundling Estate in the early 19th century. The Grade II listed two-acre garden was laid out in 1810-12 and it remains close to the original design, with fine mature planes and other ornamental trees, formal lawns and gravel paths. A section devoted to plants from New Zealand includes a number of rarities. A herb garden has been planted with assistance from the Wellcome Trust. A children’s play area, barbecue spot and tennis court cater for the large number of postgraduate students and their families living around the square.