The tranquil, secluded garden has a traditional layout, with trees around the perimeter and central flowerbeds, planted with shrub roses and perennials in an informal design.
The distinctive pedimented façades of the surrounding houses were designed by father-and-son team of John and William Booth between 1820 and 1830 for the Lloyd Baker family, who owned the whole estate until the mid-20th century.
A residents garden committee has managed the garden since 1917. In recent years, they have repaired and renovated railings, reinstated paths, extended plantings and refurbished the arbour.
At the south-west end, a walkway leads through St Helena's Garden, replanted with shade-loving plants.