The gardens of Gray’s Inn are known as the Walks. They were laid out in 1606 by Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626) when he was Treasurer at Gray’s Inn. The main feature of the gardens is a broad gravelled path between an avenue of young red oak trees and mature London planes. The Indian bean trees (Catalpa bignonioides) at the end of the Walks, now bowed with age and supported by crutches, grew from slips which were brought back from Virginia in America by Sir Walter Raleigh and planted by Bacon. The Walks have always been a popular promenade and were fashionable throughout the 17th century.