This three-acre garden features meandering paths through shrubberies, lawns, flowerbeds, a rose pergola, croquet lawn, grass tennis court and a children’s play area. The square was built between 1811 and 1819, and by 1820 the garden was laid out much as we see it today. Italian artist Signor Agostino Aglio designed the garden with guidance from the Royal Horticultural Society. The plantings and winding walks are different to those seen in most other squares. A Grecian-style lodge with Doric columns was built for the gardener – known as ‘The Temple’, it is still the residence of the square’s head gardener.