In the mid-19th century most of the area between Earl’s Court Road and Gloucester Road was part of the Gunter estate. When plans were being made to develop the area around Earl’s Court Manor House (next to the present Earl’s Court Station), the Gunter family gave some of the fields as a site for a new church. St Jude’s opened on Christmas Eve 1870 and closed as a parish church in 2004. Today the building houses St Mellitus Theological College. The surrounding deeply sunken garden has ornamental flowerbeds and a bank of azaleas and rhododendrons with an abundance of self-seeded violets.