In the Middle Ages this was the site of a Franciscan monastery and today’s garden is on the site of the Franciscan Church of Greyfriars (1225). Following the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII, it was converted for use as a parish church. In 1429 Richard Whittington, Lord Mayor, founded a library here.
A major overhaul of the gardens took place in 2011, when the garden was stripped of all its planting. The garden now consists of heavily planted herbaceous borders and includes a variety of modern repeat-flowering shrub roses and climbers. The wooden towers within the planting, which replicate the original church towers and host a variety of climbing plants.