Chester Square was laid out between 1828 and 1840 by the 1st Duke of Westminster and his surveyor and architect Thomas Cundy II as part of the Grosvenor Estate. St Michael's Church on the west side was also designed by Thomas Cundy and still provides a backdrop to the garden today.
The garden is planted with shrub and herbaceous borders and contains a delightful central rose garden. Just under 1.5 acres in size, it was restored in 1997 to the layout that appears in the Ordnance Survey map of 1867. Rope-edged tiles and some original trees have survived.
The garden's essence today is one of peace and tranquillity. Past residents include the poet Matthew Arnold (1822-88) at no. 2, and Mary Shelley (1797-1851), author of Frankenstein at no. 24.