The grounds of 17th-century Carshalton House feature the remains of a formal landscape garden of 1716-20, laid out for Sir John Fellowes, sub-governor of the South Sea Company. The early gardens may have been designed by Charles Bridgeman, and include a water tower by architect Henry Joynes.
A serpentine lake (now dry) with sham bridge was added in the later 18th century, replacing an earlier formal canal. The chalk-and-brick hermitage or grotto dates from around 1750. The remains of a wilderness survive as boundary plantings.
The ornate brick-and-stone water tower is a fine example of baroque architecture, and contains an orangery, pump chamber (with part restored water wheel), saloon and plunge bath with Delft tiles.