Henry Holland laid out the buildings and gardens of Cadogan Place from 1777 and Humphry Repton formed the ‘north’ garden in 1806 featuring hollows, hillocks and gently winding paths. Railings were removed to contribute to the WW2 war effort, with part of the garden requisitioned to host a barrage balloon in 1939. In May 1942 the War Office took over the entire garden to station tanks, anti-aircraft guns and troops. In the 1970s the garden was relandscaped when an underground car park was built beneath it. The now shallow soil presents interesting horticultural challenges and opportunities. The garden features some unusual trees, including a Brazilian pepper tree (Schinus molle) and a chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach).