George Basevi designed this green and leafy Belgravia centrepiece and Thomas Cubitt first planted the 4.5-acre private garden in 1826, to act as a landscape to the square’s grand new houses. Influenced by a design of John Claudius Loudon, the square’s layout remains faithful to its original network of paths and retains some of the original planting in the form of mature planes. A central path curves through pergolas overhung with wisteria and roses. Four summer houses with covered seating – ‘the temples’ – have been added around the inner path. Other additions include the tennis court, children’s playground and outdoor gym. The garden’s statuary reflects the square’s international nature and offers a rare chance to see a collection of modern figurative work. The Belgrave Square garden committee seeks to balance the maintenance of the garden’s historic character with modern users’ needs and expectations.