Maida Vale is renowned for the mansion blocks that line its broad avenues and give the area a very distinctive and quite European feel. Church Commissioners owned the land and resisted development until the late 1890s. By this point, mansion blocks, rather than houses, were the most profitable option for developers. Ashworth Mansions is Maida Vale’s leading estate of mansion flats. Built in 1899–1900, the Mansions comprise 105 flats in two imposing Queen Anne revival blocks, facing each other across extensive communal gardens. The garden of approximately half an acre is laid out as woodland with mature trees, shrubs and perennials, herbaceous borders, nine defined beds, amenity grassed area and plenty of shade.